Founder and Executive Director of Safe Schools For Alex
“Working to Ensure a Safer Tomorrow”
• Safe School Advocate
• Inspirational & Entrepreneurial Speaker
Max Schachter is a national school safety advocate. His youngest son Alex was one of the 17 innocent victims murdered at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida on Valentine’s Day 2018. Since the heartbreaking day that changed Max’s life forever, he has been fighting for policy change at the highest levels of the United States government. Through SafeSchoolsForAlex.org, the 501(c)(3) he created, Max has provided the most current school safety best practices and resources to students, parents, school districts and law enforcement so that all children can learn in a safe environment.
Max’s personal mission to make schools safe has resulted in the newly formed Federal School Safety Clearinghouse and its website, SchoolSafety.gov. For the past two years, Max has been interviewed on many local and national media outlets including CNN, MSNBC, Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS. He has been invited to speak publicly at numerous events around the country detailing his journey from anguish to advocacy.
SINCE THE PARKLAND TRAGEDY
- February 2020 – Max meets with President Trump in the Oval Office for the launch of the new federal school safety website.
SchoolSafety.gov provides best practices, resources, and tools, so children can learn in a safe environment.
- November 2019 – Max is asked to assist the U. S. Secret Service. He accompanies them on their first nationwide tour to prevent school attacks.
- June 2019 – The new Federal School Safety Clearinghouse is created at The Department of Homeland Security. After 15 trips to Washington D.C. and 150 meetings with members of Congress and the White House, Max’s vision finally became a reality.
- April 2019 – Max establishes the Alex Schachter Scholarship Fund to support the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Band and music education nationwide. This initiative has raised $150,000 to date.
- March 2018 – Max was appointed to serve on the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission established by former Governor Rick Scott. The commission is tasked with investigating the Parkland massacre and developing recommendations to protect Florida’s schools.
- February 2018 – Max helped pass The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act in the Florida Legislature to fix the failures that led to the Parkland massacre.
The Champions of School Safety program brings together school safety thought leaders, experts, and advocates in each of the fifty states for a common purpose of reducing violence in schools.
School safety can not be achieved by state mandates or school administration alone. Safe Schools for Alex is developing a student chapter to give students step by step instructions so they can take on the mantle of being safety soldiers in their own schools.
Safe Schools For Alex is working to establish a Mass Casualty Rapid Response Team framework that will jump-start the recovery process for the next tragedy and educate the next community about the impending ripple effects that inevitably lead to increased mental health issues.
The Champions of School Safety program brings together school safety thought leaders, experts, and advocates in each of the fifty states for a common purpose of reducing violence in schools. Read More
Safe Schools For Alex is working to establish a Mass Casualty Rapid Response Team framework that will jump-start the recovery process for the next tragedy and educate the next community about the impending ripple effects that inevitably lead to increased mental health issues. Read More